itemprop=”headline”>Government Compensates Music Promoters Whose Shows Were Canceled Because Of Covid19
Posted on May 25, 2021
The government has finally compensated music promoters that lost their money during the COVID 19 period.
According to Juma Balunywa, a member of the vetting committee, the Ug Sh 5.6 billion was released by the Ministry of Gender to the promoters that had organized shows before the lockdown was announced.
Speaking to Dembe FM on entertainment show “Talk And Talk” hosted by Kasuku and Eddy Ssendi on 22nd May 2021, Balunywa made it clear that the money has been distributed to the beneficiaries.
“I can confirm that some promoters have received their money and more will be getting there’s soon,” he said in a telephone interview.
He also said that the list had a total of 307 applicants but some were removed because they didn’t provide the right information
Some of the promoters that received their compensation include Luba Events, the company that had been contracted by singer Eddy Kenzo to organize the Eddy Kenzo Festival at Kololo Independence grounds before lockdown last year.
Others include Balaam Marketing and promotions which had invested lots of money in organizing a football match between Uganda Cranes legends and a team of ex-internationals from other African countries during events to mark the Uganda-France friendship week, Abtex Promotions, KT Events among others.
Speaking on the same show, singer Ragga Dee, the chairperson of the National Cultural Forum told listeners that the remaining Shs 5.4 Billion will be used by his organisation to build capacity to proffessionalise the arts and creative industry.
He said the money is not for paying bills of musicians that are not working because of Covid 19 but it is for building capacity for them to work and earn professionally after the lockdown.
“The government gave us shs.10 billion shillings recently. The 5.6 went to promoters and the balance is for capacity building of our industry,” he added.